Translate

Thursday, May 28, 2020

Walking in the ditch

Its kind of weird, I walk the ditch here twice a day, everyday. I am passingly familiar with the plants and animals, yet, when we went INTO the ditch and looked around, everything was the same, yet it was all different
This bullfrog was in the ditch and HUGE, very swollen and I had to try to catch her by hand. She was as slippery as soap and she snorted, and hissed and swelled, and bleated, chirped and growled until I left her alone. Normally I grab them in a net and they barely move. Sometimes they cover their eyes with their forefeet.

Crayfish are hard to see in the ditch normally, but this time, being much closer to them, we were able to watch them dart backwards.

Just about everything in the ditch is invasive including these golden clams, which hide just under the mud. A sieve is great for pulling them up. I hear they are edible, but I'm never going to try.

Mosquito fish are best chased by hand with a small net, if the purpose is to be a kid...

Of course, this lizard is my first lasso. The technique is to put a slip line on a fishing pole in waxed dental floss and slip it over a snoozing lizard's head. the big lizards are the easiest to catch. The lizards don't seem to be bothered by this rough handling after they are released.

Corrales has a multitude of ants, and unlike the city, there are many types, all acting differently. The big guys seem to hunt insects at night on the walls. The smallest ones are more likely to be out in the hot sun, doing whatever it is ants do.

This is an absolutely huge winged carpenter ant, I think a drone. I was convinced it was a wasp, but it isn't based on the head shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment