Translate

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

parasites that bite 'em


First the bad news. The experts at Inaturalist have informed me that this morning's pictures have a few inaccuracies. The birders were, usual, quick to point out my "merlin" was just another Saye's Phoebe. Of course, NOW I can see it. Also, the adult "ant-lion" I found was actually a damselfly, which it is often confused with.... On the evening walk, however I found a whole bunch of these wild wandering trails in the dust that ended in an ant-lion trap.

A pretty common site in our section of the ditch, the turkeys are roosting in the trees for the evening. They get very vocal when there are raccoons or coyotes wandering around. The flock has seven individuals, they don't appear to be very successful at reproducing for the last few years.

This was a weird picture, but exciting find for me. Looks like a bunch of parasitic wasps trying to get their eggs laid on a hapless caterpillar, but the way my insect identifications are going I'll take anyone's else's opinion as well...

Unlike the tiny nest for this morning's walk, this huge stick nest is likely used and added to by several species of big bird

Very little bird activity tonight and I only saw one bat. The full moon was promised to be a "Super Pink" whatever that it. it pretty much failed to deliver though...

I haven't seen much Raven activity around right now. Was kind of nice to see this guy watching the Batchechi open space parking area for niblits.

The Bull-frogs are keeping a low profile also. I keep hoping to hear their calls soon. But they are very silent along this section. This one is likely a female, as her ear is about the same size as her eye.

There are two lizards in this picture. Look closely and you can see the bright blue throat pouch on the upper animal. He was also showing off with push-ups to prove his "vigor" to dominate the guy hiding in the crack below him.

No comments:

Post a Comment